Saturday, February 15, 2014

So, it has been a week since I stayed into Australia... Liking it so far! The weather is getting more and more cooling and really anticipating autumn.

General Life
I am starting to realize that staying alone away from my parents has its advantages and disadvantages. I am enjoying the freedom that I get! But at the same time, I have to do everything for myself. I am very fortunate that my hall of residence (Burton and Garran Hall) provides free food for the freshies for the first week. From next week onward, I have to prepare all my meals myself, sounds pretty exciting eh? Recipes to try cooking: chicken rice, tom yum soup, salted egg -insert any meat/seafood- (wonder if I can actually find salted eggs here). But overall, I am enjoying it so far, taking care of myself and all.

Some realizations after meeting up with my secondary school friend Andy. Things really have changed a lot after we went separate ways living in a different environment. I guess I wasted too much of my life just studying and playing. Still lots of things in the world out there to explore/learn/realizations of the world. Must remember, I am in charge of bringing the experience of Australia back to my ESE friends!

Travels
In the very first week of our stay here, me and my exchange friends have been to some nearby areas already, and that includes: Australian National Botanic Gardens, National war Memorial, Parliament house, and National Museum. Kudos to PARSA for organizing the scenic tour around Canberra that made this possible. Still waiting for our very last friend from NUS to arrive in ANU.



Communication
Australians are really sociable. Nearly all of them are extroverts (E). Me being an introvert and living in this community can get pretty taxing. I am trying my best to blend in with the community, but the accent sometimes get in the way, so, I am trying to change to their accent to communicate with them better. You guys in Singapore better not call me jia kang tang when I come back with Australian accent hahaha!

No comments: