Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Liverpool

A short 2 day trip in Liverpool, followed immediately after my trip to Ireland. Two days were probably enough. Liverpool is more famous for having two great football teams, but my purpose here was more to travel. Traces of the Beatles were everywhere, it gets a bit boring. Liverpool actually has a long history as a port city. The major buildings in Liverpool are really beautiful.



9 June 2018, Sunny, Dublin > Liverpool

The flight from Dublin was delayed, but thankfully, everything in Liverpool went so smooth, I was on the bus towards Liverpool city centre in no time. I grabbed a cheap burger from McDonalds' as supper and checked into the hostel. 

10 June 2018, Sunny, Liverpool

I have to admit, I have been blessed with sunny weather during my travels. I woke up late, ate McDonalds' for breakfast and started my exploration by first visiting Albert Dock, passing by many iconic buildings along the way. Finally, I reached Albert Dock. I took my own time and walked many rounds around the dock, trying to get a nice angle for the pictures. I went inside the Merseyside Maritime Museum, which is a combination of many different museums inside. The customs museum is quite interesting and had many hands-on activities and games to play. I only left the compound at about 3, and was still not particularly happy with the pictures of Albert Dock. I made my way to Johnson shopping centre. There, I ate fish and chips for lunch. I decided to do that because it is a rather iconic British food, and Liverpool is next to the sea. After lunch, I walked around to explore the churches in Liverpool. The first was the Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral. It was quite beautiful, but what impressed me more was the next church: the Liverpool Cathedral.



The scale of this church is really impressive, it was breathtakingly huge, to be more precise. From the outside, I was not expecting much, but when I get inside, it was jaw dropping. It was huge, high ceilings and all. This church is by far my favourite (maybe also because I have not seen many churches?). Next I passed by Liverpool Chinatown on the way to my dinner place: Cowshed. I probably ordered a cheap cut, resulting in a rather unpleasant chewy meal. I then went back to Albert Dock to get nicer pictures, but to no avail. I returned to rest.

11 June 2018, Sunny, Liverpool > Manchester > Sheffield

I checked out of the hostel and ate at the same McDonalds' again. Since there was less clouds today, I retraced back the same steps I took yesterday, taking more awesome pictures. My personal favourite is this, side view of Port of Liverpool building, with a little peek of Cunard Building and Royal Liver Building.



Again, I ate lunch at Johnson shopping centre again. Since it requires booking in advance to visit Anfield stadium, and entrance is not free, I gave that up, and just walked around the city more, hoping to discover more things. At six, I made my way to the train station and took the train to my next destination, Manchester. 

No comments: