Thursday, June 28, 2018

Glasgow

More of my own solo trips, I was very interested to visit Scotland. Since the train trip up from Sheffield takes more than three hours, I decided to visit both Glasgow and Edinburgh. I did not regret making this decision. Glasgow is another one of those old cities with a very rich history. Glasgow has a long shipbuilding history, but is now a city full of the arts.


16 June 2018, Sheffield > Glasgow, Partly Cloudy

After community day, I had a nice lunch with a friend I made because of Pokemon Go. I quickly went back home after lunch, packed up and went to take the train to Glasgow. The train ride to Glasgow was really long, probably the first time I am travelling so far by train, but more to come. The train went through so many change in bouts of sunny weather, then rainy, and back to sunny again. Thankfully, it was not raining in Glasgow. I took some pictures before checking into my hostel.



A friendly Argentinian greeted me and we talked for a little bit, and even became friends on Facebook.

17 June 2018, Glasgow > Edinburgh, Cloudy

I woke up and checked out of the hostel at ten. I first visited the botanical gardens by taking their very cute subway/metro/tube. The gardens were average. The central part with marble statues was pretty. Next, I went to visit the University of Glasgow. This was perhaps the highlight. The university is so beautifully gothic, it seems like it was straight out of the Harry Potter scenes.


The cloisters is perhaps the most photographed area in the university. Next, I visited Ashton lane. It is a bit like our Hagi lane, really. I bought a sandwich and continued my way to Kelvingrove Art Gallery. I cannot really appreciate the art on display here, but the exterior of the building is pretty awesome. I then took the train to the People's Palace. Too bad, it was already closed, and I can only appreciate the outside. I then walked around Glasgow Green, it was quite pretty. The final stop, and also a rather iconic place in Glasgow, is the George Square. There was a busker there, lifting the atmosphere of the place. The poor statues always have their heads covered in guano. This is true for every city I have visited in Europe... Had KFC for dinner, then got onto the bus heading for Edinburgh.






No comments: