Monday, July 14, 2014

Homecoming
The exchange itself brought me many advantages. It gave me a chance to look at the world through interaction with students from around the globe. I experienced independence (although not completely economically independent). Through this exchange, I really understand what it means by having 'hard wings, you can now fly anywhere'. I no longer want to set my home in Singapore anymore. With an accent-less English, I am set on being a global citizen. I still can remember the day where I stepped through the gates of freedom. I didn't know anyone in Australia, but still chose to come here knowing that I will come here with no friends. It will be a social challenge, away from the comfort zone, face the racism. I went into my hall in ANU, B&G alone. Now, so much have changed. I now have global friends. I would say this is the greatest takeaway from my exchange. The multitude of close friends I manage to make in this short 5 month exchange is simply incomprehensible. As much as all my newly made close friends would like to keep in close contact and remain as close friends, deep inside, I know that this is no longer possible. The friction of distance really gets people. All of us will move on and make new friends (and forget some old ones) at different stages of our life. It is regretful for people who still look back and cling onto it. I shall be mentally prepared. What I will leave behind are treasure experiences and memories. As for some few friends who I will see them again in Singapore... I wish that day comes soon.

No comments: