Wednesday, June 03, 2015

Emptiness

Hence, the four years of my university life culminated yesterday with me receiving my very last set of results. I am graduating with first class honours in Environmental Engineering. Just the perfect university results you can wish for. However, it still feels empty, why? Results mean nothing. School grades does not measure how intelligent you are at all. It doesn't mean that you will get far and achieve what you want. It doesn't mean you will be happy when you receive it. It at most grants you a very good starting pay, and then that's it.

Good grades does not mean that you will get into a good graduate school that you desire. Good grades does not guarantee you a scholarship or fellowship programme that pays you to do research work with the organization. It is only a small bit of the criteria. A small prove that you might mean something.

Perhaps the greater takeaway in the four years would be relationships that you build with the people that you have met in your education pursuits. People that made me open up and talk more. They have been there with you and went through hardship together with you. These are more meaningful. In fact, I am willing to trade my first class honours in exchange for being able to know someone who truly cares about me, a true soul mate. Too bad I didn't spend more time finding.

In the end, yes, you did get good grades. Be glad not because of the good grades, but because you did learn something useful.

No comments: