Thursday, April 24, 2014

This post has been backdated for so long, finally have the chance to write about my travels, feelings, reflections and lessons.

Tasmania
A lot of credit for the success of the travels in Tasmania goes to my new found friend in B & G: Saif Khan, who did a lot of administrative planning and information gathering during the trip itself. I would also like to thank Cherry, who shared with me her experiences, little tips to travelling in Tasmania, and where the places that she thinks I would like. I would also never forget the warm-hearted Tasmanian locals who never failed to stop by and help whenever they sense that we are in some trouble. This trip was full of beautiful sceneries, unique experiences, and some good music. I also like to thank my travel buddies who are willing to travel with me so last minute, and taking pictures of each other along the way! Personally, I think the greatest accomplishment for myself was to be driving in a foreign land and return everything safely, with no accidents and fines, not forgetting the beautiful pictures taken as memory.

8 April 2014, Cloudy, Hobart Airport > Coles Bay, Wineglass Bay
This day brings a bad start to our travels. It showed me that planning for your trip in detail actually helps a lot! We started the day with a bus ride to the airport, reaching there in the wrong terminal and having to pay $5.50 for the bus to the other terminal to catching our flight. I know right! Why do they even charge money? Changi Airport's free Skytrain is way better! Upon reaching Hobart, we had to walk to take a bus to our car rental area. Due to improper planning, we had to walk 1 hour, and catch the public bus. It was goodwill, or that Tasmania is full of nice people, that we were offered a hitchhike to the car rental place. Really appreciate your help there, didn't manage to catch your name, but we really appreciate it a lot. Lesson learnt: rent your car at the airport. After getting the car, we traveled a few kilometers and ran out of fuel in a deserted place... Again, many people stopped by and asked what was wrong. While mishap was happening, I remembered to count my blessings that I have so many kind souls stopping by asking what is wrong with my car, while waiting for roadside assist to come. Dinner was at Mures Lower Deck, very tasty. Traveled to Coles bay at night and camped there.

9 April 2014, Cloudy, Wineglass Bay > St. Helens > Bay of Fires > Jeanneret Beach
Started the day wonderful, feeling fresh that the real fun of our trip is about to begin! Had breakfast by the beach, haha, what an enjoyment. The day was spent hiking up to the popular Wineglass Bay Lookout, then going down to Wineglass Bay itself to reach the sun, sand, waves, actually, cancel out the sun.



The anticipation of the beauty of Wineglass Bay made it slightly disappointing because of the cloudy weather. The bay itself however, was stunning. Rest of the day was spent driving to Bay of Fires and finally reaching Jeanneret Beach, where we spent the night. Reached early, played cards, and had a chat with my travel buddies.

10 April 2014, Clear, Jeaneret Beach > St. Helens > Launceston > Sheffield > Cradle Mountain
The weather actually turned better after those gloomy days. After chilling for a bit by Jeanneret beach, we decided that we had enough of seas and beaches. Drove to St. Helens where we ate breakfast, got some wifi, and recharged our stuff. Saif bought a CD with only one track, to tide us past times where we get no reception from the radio stations. We then started to travel towards Launceston, reaching at late noon.Lunch was kebabs. After restocking on supplies, we headed towards Sheffield, stopping by to take a look at the Murals, then to Cradle Mountain. The drive to Cradle Mountain was dangerous, if not hazardous. Fog, night, and mountainous roads, recipe for disaster. We made it however, and had a nice warm dinner at a campsite there. Did not rest well this night because it was raining and it was cold, and I was the only one sleeping in the tent. Ended up going to the kitchen to at least grab some rest in anticipation for the Cradle Mountain hike.

11 April 2014, Partly Cloudy, Cradle Mountain > Sheffield
We kind of overslept a little and hence could not make it if we take the full hike to Cradle Mountain Summit. We still chose a rather difficult route, which is to Marion's Lookout and Dove Lake circuit. The hike was good since we rested a lot on the way by taking pictures. The pictures...




They speak a lot about the beauty of Cradle Mountain area. I myself was totally astounded by the view, pristine untouched nature. This day was the day where I took the most pictures, and it only gets better. The night was spent in Sheffield, as illegal campers. Saif bought a very nice CD this time, and I am very thankful for this move!

12 April 2014, Partly Cloudy, Sheffield > Launceston
We sent 2 of our travel buddies off to Launceston Airport. Goodbyes are always hard. After that, me and Xinran made our plans to travel as two people. We visited Cherry Road, for the sake of our good friend Cherry, to show her that she owns a road in Tasmania, and it was a road of nice houses, not cherry trees. Lunch was at a cafe in Launceston, was not too bad. Drove to the motel and took a good nap (haha albeit waste, but we need the rest). Fish and chips with cucumber for dinner. I had long chats with Xinran, so got to know her a lot more. First time sleeping in a King size bed, where I only occupied 1/3 of the space that is closer to Xinran.

13 April 2014, Clear, Launceston > New Northfolk > Hobart
Hey, hey, hey, it's a beautiful day, as so the singer in the new CD goes, Xinran's favourite track. Started the day perfect and in happy spirits as we traveled from Launceston to New Northfolk. Lunch was chicken and chips with cherry tomatoes. Notice how I always try to balance the meal haha. New Northfolk is just like another Tasmanian town, chilling and relaxing. The next half of the day was a nightmare. We went round and round around Hobart vicinity so as to find a car wash place, at the 5th try, we managed to find one that actually is a proper car wash facility. Was already tired and destroyed from travelling here and there. Made the car clean again, then drove down to Mures for dinner. Dinner was seafood platter for 2, and more oysters :D. Love the oysters there, they are fresh till you can still taste the salty tang of the sea. On a side note, Xinran is disappointed with me today. She has good driver for a father, but does not understand that there are certain places where if you are already on that lane, you HAVE to turn there although it is wrong, and some places cannot turn right because the road simply doesn't have the right turning lane, usually because it is a 270 degree or more right turn. Fails of driving in unknown roads. Night was spent in a motel nearby Hobart.

14 April 2014, Clear, Hobart > Richmond > Hobart Airport
I would say, this is one of the most pleasant days spent in Tasmania. Relaxing drive to Richmond. Richmond is my favourite little town in Tasmania because of its beautiful old style architecture, good food, and shops. Visited the famous oldest bridge in Australia and had lunch in Richmond Bakery and Cafe. Tried their iconic Curry Scallop Pie, simple excellence. Bought ice cream and candy at the old style sweets shop called Sweets and Treats, never forgetting Cherry Rock candy for our close friend. Part of what was enjoyable is admittedly, also, travelling as a platonic pair. After the great recharge from Richmond, we made our way to return the rented car. After saying last goodbyes to our little Red, and professional GPS Navi Tom Tom, we started another arduous journey without a car, towards Hobart airport. To our horror, the bus that we planned to take only comes after 3 hours. Attempts to hitch-hike failed this time haha! We ended up taking a taxi to the hotel. Dinner was noodles, try to finish up all the groceries we bought in Tasmania so that there's no waste. The milk became a slight laxative. That probably sums up my Tasmania trip, a round island trip in 8 days.

15 April 2014, Clear, Hobart Airport > Acton (Home)
Flight from Hobart airport back to Canberra. I suddenly have this feel that B & G has became a home. I am coming home. I am not sure why. It might be due to the relationships with the people here. Canberra has also turned slightly cold.


Sydney
An impromptu trip with totally no plans at all, this trip to Sydney was inspired by Andy going back to Sydney to visit his family, while going back in the same car with Daniel, Andy's close friend when he is doing is undergraduates. A lot of credit is given to Andy himself, for the success and impeccable time, location, and space sense in this short and condensed trip. I totally destroyed my legs with the 3 days of walking, however.

17 April 2014, Clear, Acton > Dickson > Sydney CBD
The morning was spent Yum Cha with the senior cooking group. The Dim Sums were of pretty good quality, and it does remind me of what Dim Sum tastes like back in Singapore. Best of all the price is not a scam. Thanks to Cherry (again, I have many reasons to be appreciative) for the recommendation. After the really satisfying meal, Daniel, Andy and me set off for Sydney CBD, with Daniel taking the wheel because it was his car. Being super tired due to the travels, I fell asleep and was unable to keep the conversation to keep the driver awake in the long drive. Sorry! Upon reaching, I started exploring the vicinity of Sydney CBD, Central Station. Accommodation was Bounce, Backpacker accommodation, in a 8 man room, correction, there were also 4 girls in the same room. How their bras were around the room was slightly disturbing. Accommodation would be totally good other than the fact that there was a musty smell in the room. Note: Sick Building Syndrome potential.

18 April 2014, Clear, Sydney CBD > University of Sydney > Newtown > Sydney Harbour Bridge > Opera House > Royal Botanical Gardens > Darling Harbour > Chinatown
Just by looking at the places traveled in one day, you would already know that this itinerary was hell of an eventful one. It was planned by Andy, with times attached to each location. Without much effort in time keeping, we actually obeyed the times pretty well. University of Sydney has beautiful old style architecture, explicit in detail. Lunch was Pad Thai in Thai-La-Ong1, another remembrance of Singapore food. Traveled to the iconic places of Sydney in tourist mode. Caught a beautiful sunset at Royal Botanic Gardens.




Went to Darling Harbour, where we bought Gelatissimo ice cream. Side note: Andy doesn't share ice cream, a very unique character different from most other friends, because he will feel guilty for eating too much of the share. Gosh, the savings that we could have made. Dinner was settled at Chinatown night market (only on Fridays). Ate Japanese Seafood Ball, assorted dim sums, di wang bing, gong cha. The gong cha tastes the same as in Singapore, although 2x more expensive. Well worth it.

19 April 2014, Clear, Taronga Zoo
Sent out 5 postcards, one as remembrance for myself, and 4 to other significant friends. Being in tourist mode again, me and Andy spent the entire day at Taronga Zoo of Sydney. To many people, the zoo is a boring place to visit. Truth be told, it will be boring if you don't know what to do. If you actually go for the talks by the zookeepers, they will tell you more information about the animal, as well as feed them, so you get to see them in action. Caught 2 performances, namely Seals and Birds. Seal performance is highly recommended, the seals are very well trained and the show is very very enjoyable. Bird Show is very entertaining as well. I really wonder how they trained the animals and get the timing so correct. What I love about the performances too was that they always end it off with environmental sustainability, totally in sync with my personal beliefs. Had laksa for dinner, surprisingly similar in quality as compared to that found in Singapore food courts.

20 April 2014, Clear, Sydney's Coastal areas.
Today is a day where I have decided to have a solo trip: walk totally alone by the coastal areas of Sydney for 18 km, in slippers so I can play in the sand and sea water. This gives me time to relax and get away from the busy life, as well as reflect upon myself, the things I have done in the past years, recent exchange, recent failures, what I regret doing, what I should have done better, what should I do to make myself a better person. I am constantly trying t o figure this out actually. It also made me realize what kind of travelling I like best: group, duo, or alone. Each have their own advantages though. For one, if I were to type out all the names of the beaches and reserves I visited today, it is going to be a hell of a list. Upon reaching each beach or nice spot, I would stop and chill and relax for a bit. Started the walk in Trennery Reserve, then continuing on to Grant Reserve, then reaching Coogee Beach. The water is clean, but very cold! Continued walking to Gordon's bay, which was basically a bay with some rocks. Next was an unnamed beach (I forgot). It was actually very beautiful, the locals designed it very well to attenuate the waves when it comes in so that the inside was a very good swimming pool. Continued the walk and entered a cemetery by the coast. Remarkable idea. I made a point to keep silent and discreet as I walked past it, paying respect, however, the people around me did not think the same way. Exiting the cemetery brings me to Bronte beach, another wave paradise where surfers are spotted, and the water is cold, as usual. After walking through another unnamed park, I reached Marks Park and Hunter Park. In one of the park benches, there was a note which says: There's nothing as nice as someone who shares your laughter, your secrets, your wishes and cares, someone who is there through good times and tears, who stays by your side as your friend throughout the years. Beautifully written. Part of me starts reflecting on whether I really do have such a friend. The altruistic me is too keen on giving so much so that people take me for granted, would I really find such a friend? Next destination is the iconic Bondi beach! Bondi beach is the largest beach that I have ever seen, taking a while to actually walk across the entire beach, and not mentioning the sad area is huge. Stopped and looked at the people playing so joyfully around me, and at the same time curious about what the others think of a lone traveler walking lengthwise across the beach, straddling the reach of the waves. Grabbed a sandwich and continued walking to Hugh Bamford reserve, which is basically just a patch of green. Walked across rich people's places and wondered what it takes to actually live in such a place. Dreams. Long and painful walk to Rodney Reserve, then Dover Heights reserve, where a cliff-edge walk commences. Just off the side, I found a secret hiding place which takes you directly to the edge of the cliff. It is actually possible to go down the cliff into a secret hiding cave. It makes for a perfect getaway spot, where only someone as lonesome as me would actually like. Continued the walk to Diamond Bay Reserve, Clarke Reserve, then to Christiston Park, then Lighthouse Reserve, Signal Hill Reserve, and then finally reaching Watson's Bay. Now if you are following, you finally realize why I cannot write down the places I visited in the title. The view at Watson's bay was stunning as well. In the evening sun, the colours of the horizon changes. The view of the CBD as the backdrop is magnificent.




Had Connoisseur ice-cream, and a good well deserved seafood meal at Doyles. Made acquaintances there. Took a ferry back to Circular Quay and headed back to the hostel. This basically summed up how I spent my two week break.

I always make the same mistake. It is said that once bitten, twice shy. I think I will never learn from my mistakes though, because that involves changing a part of me which I always believe that it is a positive side. I will stay who I am, never be suayed, and if that makes me be alone, so be it. I am designed to be alone without need and burden, explore different places alone. I am only starting.

No comments: